Probably everyone will like gujarati recipes because they will show their tradition in their food habit too. You will not feel more spiciness in their recipes instead you will feel some sour taste and sweetness in their food. The khatti meethi dal is familiar and unique food of Gujarat. It is very nutritional dish and it is rich in carbohydrates since we are using dhal as major ingredient in this recipe. It can be prepared within 20 minutes of time duration if you have prepared pre requisites.
(i) For dal preparation
· 200 gm of tuvar dal/pigeon pea lentils
· 1 tsp ginger green chili paste (1 green chili + ¾ inch ginger) about
· Peanuts/moongphali – 2 tbsp
· Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
· Water 5 cups (adjust it for pressure cook and dhal)
· Grated jiggery – 2 tbsp
· salt As per your taste
(ii) For tempering
· Ghee – 1.5 tbsp
· Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
· cumin seeds – ½ tsp
· Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
· 2 to 3 small dry red chilies (halved & deseeded)
· curry leaves – 6-7
· Asafoetida – a pinch
· Cloves – 2 to 3
· Cinnamon – 1
· Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
1. Initially you need to wash the dal by removing its cover.
2. Then add it in a pressure cooker along with the pressure cook ingredient mentioned above. (Use 2.5 cup of water for pressure cooking).
3. Pressure cook it for 8 minutes or until the dal get mashed. Aging you need to mach it finely so that you can get thick gravy like consistent.
4. Then add grated jaggery, salt and make simmer at medium heat and keep it aside.
5. Now heat ghee in small pan, add mustard seed, cumin and fenugreek seeds respectively, if find the smell then add curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves and finally asafetida.
6. Add it, in the dal you can prepared and again heat for 5 minutes. Finally add lemon juice and garnish it with coriander leaves.